AED Defibrillators, Automated External Defibrillators

You can help us save a life

Public Access Defibrillation
Establishing a Pubic Access Defibrillation (PAD) Program
AED Institute along with the American Heart Association encourage you and your organization to start a PAD Program of your own. Once a PAD program has been established in your facility or home, it's important to make sure that anyone regularly on the premises knows about the program. They also need to know how to alert the trained rescuers in the event of a cardiac emergency.

PAD Program information should be communicated to your organization members through on-site meetings.
This allows the AED to be demonstrated, the program to be explained and emergency action to be taken by untrained good Samaritans.

PAD Trial
For more information about PAD Trials that have been conducted visit the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute's sponsored trial held at University of Washington
What is required by California Law to have and operate an AED?
-Medical Oversight
-Prescription signed by a California licensed physician in order to purchase and use an AED
-4 hours of CPR/AED certification training class every two (2) years
-Notification to local EMS alerting them to the placement of the AED
-Policy and Procedure for use and storage of AED
-Maintenance records with monthly check list as to the readiness of the unit
-Maintain skill competency

Southern California AED Institute recommends a 3-4 hour CPR/AED certification every two (2) years and 1 hour skill update every other year to be taken for any organization wishing to have a PAD program.
State Laws Supporting Public Access Defibrillation
The Cardiac Arrest Survival Act (CASA) was part of the Public Health Improvement Act signed into law in November 2000. The law directs placing automated external defibrillators (AEDS) in federal buildings and provides nationwide Good Samaritan protection that exempts from liability anyone who renders emergency treatment with a defibrillator to save someone's life.

It's recommended that you check the laws in your state to determine any specific elements that researched via state web sites. See the National Center for Early Defibrillation for a list of your state's web sites. The state EMS Department (usually part of the State Health Department) can also provide information.